Do you know what hangnail is? Hangnail is one of the most annoying and irritating skin issues. Because they are distracting and it also leads you to the infections and subsequent swollen fingers.
Once it happens in your finger then it will be hard to fix them and despite our best. If you want to know how to get rid of hangnails and the causes of hangnails. Then keep reading this blog to know about the Hangnail.
What Is A Hangnail?
Having pain around the fingernail is usually a sign of irritation or infections. The redness and swelling that cause around the fingernails will be caused by an infected hangnail or ingrown fingernail.
A hangnail is a brittle piece of skin near the root of the nails and appears as a jagged and torn. Generally, hangnails appear on the fingernails, not on the toes. But it might also be possible that they also appear on the toenail.
Hangnail and fingernails are common issues that most people face. A hangnail can occur when their skin is getting dry, such as in the winter or after being exposed to water for a prolonged period. Ingrown fingernail and hangnails have become infected when they exposed to bacteria or the fungus.
Infected hangnails and ingrown fingernails should be treated as soon as possible. There are various ways to treat the hangnails, you can also treat this condition successfully at home.
But if the hangnail and ingrown fingernail do not treat within a few weeks then immediately consult with your doctor.
(Also read: How To Grow Nails Faster And Stronger Naturally)
How To Diagnose Infected Hangnail?
The finger infection occurs when fungus or the bacteria gets under the skin and then it will cause the infected hangnail.
The infection that will cause between the nail and skin is known as the paronychia. Infected hangnail is commonly occurring in the fingernails, but they are also found on the toenails. Here are some symptoms of the infected hangnails.
- Tenderness or pain
- Warm feeling
- The pus-filled blister in the affected area
The prolonged infection is the result of the discolored nail or the infection that spreads to other parts of the body.
The symptoms of bacterial infection hangnails may occur suddenly. But if you have a fungal infection, then you may experience symptoms more gradually.
The fungal finger infection appears more frequently in the people who are suffering from diabetes.
Ingrown fingernail or hangnail are occurring more frequently in those who are spending a large amount of time with their hands exposed in water.
(Also read: Fordyce Spots & Granules – Treatment And Symptoms)
What Causes Hangnails?
Hangnails are occurring when the skin around the nail becomes damaged or irritated. finger infection occurs when the bacteria or the fungus gets into the wounds.
The hangnails are more frequently occurs when their hands and feet do not properly get moisturize so they will get dry. The Peoples who are work as bakers and dishwashers are more likely to experience this condition.
Here is some reason that may cause the hangnails:
- Dry skin
- Frequent Sucking of a finger
- Clipping the fingernails too short
- Clipping the cuticles
- Using artificial nails which contain chemicals or glue.
- Having hand in the water
- Certain health conditions
finger infection around the nail may be caused by the ingrown fingernail or the toenails. It also occurs when the edges of the nail are starts to grow into the soft tissue which surrounds it.
(Also read: Amoxicillin Rash – Treatment of skin rash for Adults and Toddlers)
How To Get Rid Of Hangnails?
If you notice the hangnails then don’t try to rip off or bite off the hangnail.
Don’t peel the skin which is still attache to your nail because once it will open then the area of the infected finger skin can bleed or become vulnerable to infections from fungi or the bacteria.
So effectively and safely remove the hangnail with these steps.
(Also read: Camphor – Uses Of Camphor Oil)
How To Treat A Hangnail
- Take a large bowl and fill with warm water and soak your infected finger in it for 10 to 15 minutes. If you also want to moisturize your infected finger then, add a few drops of olive oil or vitamin E oil into the water.
- After that gently dry your hand and then cut off the base of the hangnail with the sharp cuticle nippers and sterilizes. This will help to prevent the hangnail from getting caught on the things. But make sure that you don’t cut off the more skin than the required because it will cause pain in the infected finger.
- Apply an antibacterial ointment on the infected finger to prevent the infections. If your hangnail is getting embed a little too deep, then wrap a bandage around the finger.
- Moisturize your infected finger with the vitamin E oil multiple times a day or until hangnails will heal. Moisturizing your nails is important after washing the hands. Apply petroleum jelly, olive oil, coconut oil to moisture the infected area, and combat dryness.
How To Prevent Hangnails?
Hangnail pain is one of the most annoying things. Following some of the few simple things can help you to prevent the hangnails. Just follow these simple steps:
- Moisturize your nails beads
- Cut off the hangnails when they are short
- Don’t bite your nails
- Get rid of acetone
- Eat nutritious foods
- Stay hydrated
- Avoid peeling the cuticles
- Keep the fingernails clean
- Make sure your hand do not get wet for too long
When To See A Doctor?
If your hangnail does not treat within a few weeks after the home treatment. Or can you also see these symptoms, then immediately consult with your doctor.
- The affected area blisters and filled with pus.
- Other areas of the finger or nail will show some symptoms of infections.
- The affecting nail will separate from the skin
- If your nails will change the shape or nail color.
- If you have diabetes you will become suspect of a hangnail.
I would be glad if you like this post and I’d be very grateful if you would help it spread by emailing it to friends or sharing it on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter. Thank You!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?